Skip to main content

Juggling with one hand

A while back, a member of the Northern Guard Supporters posted a blog about the definitions of different types of footy fan. It is here in all it's glory but I objected to being called an "ultra" despite running the Fargo Green Army Twitter and being Fan #1 in the FC Fargo founders club

Today the contrast reared its ugly head again, when I encounted this from Spiked Online about Italian ultra culture, excerpted in a rambling Wikipedia page. 

Bottom line is this:

I'm a die-hard fan of FC Fargo. A fanatic, maybe even. But when ultras are associated with capo stands, loud-hailers, smokebombs, gigantic flags between you and the pitch and standing throughout the match; I will not be one. 

I will also never self-identify with the word "hooligan", as an English guy who's happy never to have been beaten up by people who use that label and a pacifist. 

I grew up watching footy in stadia where standing for prolonged periods was illegal, my enjoyment of a game does not hinge on standing - and I have attended very loud and passionate games which negate any argument that sitting destroys atmosphere. 

In those stadia, I enjoyed a nice clear view of the footy that I, or my family, had paid to see. I therefore don't particularly relish smoke or flags in the way. 

Added to which, unfortunately as time goes on, I am increasingly unable to simply move out of the way of the obstruction (eg. stand up because everyone else does). Especially when it results in over 2 hours of standing. I have Cerebral Palsy, if you're wondering. The title of the post refers to mine being hemiplegic in base. And my mobility is on a downward path. Although I don't yet use a wheelchair. 

For me, passionate fans are usually the loudest. And that is what I will be. 

I love the passion of the smoke and flags school of footy support, and it's up to you what you want to do with your afternoon of footy watching. 

I'll be the guy somewhere with the cane and the FC Fargo hat and scarf, singing his way to a lost voice. 

#COYG

Tim

Comments